Friday, October 14, 2011

One Day At A Time...Or Not

If you've been reading my blog, you know about my most recent investment, and let me tell you . . . boy was it a good investment ! This simple daily quote book , "Live Happy" has yet again captured my attention and forced me to reflect on my life . This is good because I need a little reflection time . Yesterday I had fall break, but as a requirement for one of my classes, I have to have 25 hours of classroom observation done by Thanksgiving . Don't get me wrong, I love the second grade class that I'm in, and I LOVED the field trip to Holy Hill, but sometimes, I just want a break . You know, every once in a while I'd like to have just one day where I don't have to leave my house at 7:30am and get home at 8:30pm . So, I had that one day today and it was NICE . I was going to go do some more observation today from 8-2:30 then work at the Daycare from 3-6, but I was up until almost 2am yesterday doing homework so I decided that I deserve to have one day of fall break . Although, on Monday, I'll have to start it all over again, which reminds me . . . Note to Self- tutoring Kindergarten students on reading and writing (Monday's and Wednesday's) starts on Monday !
Oh boy , come on back brain . We're writing a blog here . I started talking about that one little quote that caught my eye and now I'm all side-tracked . Well, I suppose that's alright- it makes a pretty good point .
Today's daily quote in "Live Happy," is . . .
"I try to take it one day at a time
But sometimes
Several days attack me at once."

I struggle with this and I'm sure everyone else does too . I try so hard to take life one day at a time, but no matter what I do,  I always end up thinking, "What do I all have to do tomorrow?" or "I cannot forget that my doctor's appointment is next week ." I think this is part of the reason that I don't sleep well . When I lay down at night it seems like it's almost impossible to shut my brain off . As much as I'd like to be able to go, go, go, 24 hours a day, I can't because God didn't make us to function like that . Hmm . . . that's something to think about, isn't it? God didn't make us like the Energizer Bunny, although, sometimes I try to convince myself that He did . The human body needs to be recharged, but not once a month like our friend Mr. Bunny . We need rest every day and honestly, if there is a "right way to relax," I don't think I'm doing it right .
There comes a point at night when I just can't keep my eyes open anymore, but even though my eyes are closed the wheels are still turning in my brain . I need to work on that . When I've reached that point of exhaustion and I realize it's finally time to try and catch some Z's, I shouldn't be spending my last few minutes of conciousness thinking about all the things I need to accomplish tomorrow, or the things I didn't accomplish today . Which, by the way, I am extremely guilty of . My last thought before my mind goes blank and I finally fall asleep is usually something along the lines of, "I know I didn't get ___ , ___, and ___ done today so I'll have to find some time tomorrow to do them . . . . *yaawwwn* Hmm . . . let's see . I'll have to get up tomorrow and do them in the morning before school because I don't have a break between classes and *yaawwwn* I have to work directly after my last class and after work . . . . ZZZZZZZZZZZZ ." When my day ends like this, I don't feel refreshed when I wake up . I feel like I pick up exactly where I left off and, even though I slept, it still feels like a continuation of one very looonnnng day .
I'm going to challenge myself to end the day when I crawl into bed . Once I'm all burried in the blankets, I'm going to try to turn on some music so that I can drown out the sound of my own thoughts . You know . . . it's almost too bad that the Energizer Bunny isn't real . . . I bet a few bangs to the old noggin with those drum sticks of his would really do the trick . But I guess I'll just stick with the music for now .  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment